At ServiceMaster Advantage, we deal with thousands of carpet spots and spills every year. A little care taken when these events occur may imamediately solve the problem. Use the tips below to help get rid of common household stains found on carpets. However, if the stain is more serious, contact ServiceMaster Advantage, and we’ll restore your carpet to new!
- Grease and Oil Marks: Gently rub in talcum powder, cornmeal, or cornstarch. Let it set, and then brush or sponge powder away.
- Mustard Stains: Soak stained area with diluted ammonia. Then dry with a hairdryer.
- Pet Urine: Dampen area with equal parts white vinegar and water. Then blot dry.
- Red Wine: Use club soda to flush the wine from the carpet fibers.
- Blood Stains: Flush with cold water. Avoid hot water as heat will set the blood stain.
- Soft Drinks: Apply a solution of one quart water with one teaspoon mild detergent and one teaspoon of white vinegar.
- Gum: Freeze the gum with ice, and use a dull knife to remove.
- Candle Wax: Put a brown paper bag over the dried wax, and run a hot iron over it. The bag will absorb the hot wax.
- Latex Paint: Soak with dish detergent diluted with 20 parts water. Agitate the area, blot, rinse, and blot again.
- Ball Point Ink: Use hair spray, and be sure to rinse the entire area well with water when finished.
Spot Removal Techniques
Remember that the best time to clean up most spots and spills is right after they occur. Using the proper agent, follow these techniques:
- If liquid, blot up as much as possible with a clean cloth.
- If the material is dry, loosen residue with the dull edge of a knife or spatula. Scrape or vacuum up as much of the residue as you can.
- Dampen clean cloth with the proper cleaning agent for the particular type of stain.
- Blot area gently, working from the outer edge to the center of the spot. Turn the cloth frequently so you are always using a clean area.
- Repeat this process until the spot is removed or until you no longer have a transfer of the spot to your cloth. Be careful not to get the carpet excessively wet.
- Rinse the sot with water. Blot any excess moisture.
- Align the carpet pile. Protect the area from any traffic and allow to dry.