It’s summertime! Are you ready to stoke the grill and feed the family with backyard cookouts filled with charbroiled goodies? Before heading out to heat the coals, keep these tips from ServiceMaster Advantage in mind to help you in preventing a fire mishap.
Before You Grill
- Always place your grill on a non-combustible surface outside such as concrete and at least 10 feet away from the nearest building. NEVER grill inside! Not only does it pose an extraordinary fire hazard, but grills release carbon monoxide gas, which is incredibly lethal.
- Remove all potentially combustible materials from the vicinity including decorations, paper plates, or anything made of wood.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
- Check for gas leaks. You can do this by applying a solution of half-water and half-hand soap to the hoses and connections and then turning the gas on. If you see bubbles appear, it’s a sign that your hoses have holes or that the connections are not tight enough.
During the Grill
- ALWAYS keep the grill lid raised while lighting. If your lid remains closed, the grill chamber will fill with gas and once you light it, a fireball will be waiting to be unleashed once you open the lid.
- ALWAYS stay by the grill once it’s lit. Never leave a grill unattended! Fires can double in size within minutes, so leaving the grill for ‘just a second’ could cost you.
- Keep a spray bottle filled with water nearby to calm flames that begin to dangerously reach out.
- A grill stays hot for at least an hour after use, so remain attentive to nearby flammable objects or people brushing by it even after you’re done cooking.
- Clean your grill regularly. It’s important to prevent grease and fat build up, both of which are extremely flammable substances that act like fuel for a fire. Grease residue is one of the most common causes of fires that get out of control.
Remember, cooking is the most common cause of house fires. Have fun this summer and get good use out of that grill, but always keep fire safety top of mind. If you do happen to have an accident or fire mishap, contact ServiceMaster Advantage for fire damage restoration or smoke damage cleanup. We can also remove smoky odors as well!