Are you prepared for dealing with a home that has been impacted by Houston fire damages? Fires can cause damage that continues long after the fire has been put out. When it comes to dealing with Houston Fire Damage, swift action is key.
Synthetic materials are among the most difficult to treat. You’ll find synthetic materials in most furniture and flooring. When burned, synthetics create a variety of complex chemical reactions. When these chemicals remain on your fixtures and belongings even for a few days, your valuables go from cleanable to unsalvageable.
ServiceMaster Advantage is an expert in understanding many fire cleaning agents that can effectively restore and salvage your property. Soot can even be removed from at-risk items such as brass, aluminum, chrome, marble, tile, and porcelain as well as fabrics in upholstery and carpets. These fire-cleaning techniques save time, money, and help get your life and home back to normal as soon as possible! Here are some tips for what you should do if you have smoke or fire damage:
- Discard open food packages. The food could be contaminated.
- Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air. This is even more effective if the cheesecloth is damp.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- Wipe the leaves of houseplants to remove smoke residue.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
- If electrical power is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner that specializes in smoke damage.
- Due to the instability of any chemicals on post-fire contents, efforts to clean up damage prior to the arrival of professionals may cause additional damage and in some cases ruin contents altogether. Please use extreme caution when applying these tips. To keep costs and damage to a minimum call the Houston fire damage experts at ServiceMaster Advantage as soon as possible after a fire.