ServiceMaster Advantage is now providing professional disinfection and infection prevention services. If your business is newly re-open, we can create a program designed to disinfect your facility and help your customers and employees stay safe. While professional services are necessary, don’t forget to practice routine disinfection maintenance. Keep reading to learn more about the daily habits you can incorporate into your routine to ensure your home or business is clean and disinfected day or night.
Clean & Disinfect
Cleaning and disinfecting aren’t the same but they’re both necessary. First, you should clean to remove visible debris then move on to disinfecting to kill germs. Before you start your cleaning routine, put on gloves to protect your hands and ventilate your space by opening a window.
- Clean: Start by cleaning surfaces with soap and water. This step removes debris like dirt and reduces the number of germs.
- Disinfect: Once your surfaces are clean, use an EPA approved disinfectant. This step kills the germs that are leftover from the previous cleaning step. Make sure you follow the label instructions for the correct use of your disinfectant products.
- Place cleaning products throughout your space to encourage everyone to wipe down surfaces after use. Make sure everyone knows where cleaning tools are and how to use them correctly.
High Touch Areas
If you don’t have a lot of time but want to make a big impact, start by disinfecting high touch surfaces. You can also encourage employees or family members to wipe down these surfaces after use. Make sure they are familiar with your cleaning products and can access them easily. In most businesses and homes, high touch surfaces include:
- Light switches
Depending on the material of the surface that you’re cleaning and disinfecting, you may need to alter your method. If you need to clean soft surfaces like upholstered items or rugs, use the following process.
- Soft Surfaces: Start by cleaning with soap and water. If possible, launder these items following the manufacturer’s guidelines and dry them completely.
- If you’re unable to launder the item, use an EPA -registered disinfectant.
Don’t forget to keep practicing thorough hand hygiene. Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds with soap and water and dry hands completely. If you don’t have access to soap and water, use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol. It’s also important to avoid touching your face, especially with unwashed hands.
ServiceMaster Advantage is your local disaster restoration expert in Harris, Montgomery and Galveston Counties. Due to COVID-19, we’re currently providing disinfection services. We hope the tips above help you keep your home or businesses clean and disinfected around the clock. If you’re unsure where to start, contact us. Our team can customize a disinfection program for your business. During every service, we pride ourselves on efficiency and follow-through. That’s why business owners and homeowners alike rely on us every day for our full breadth of services.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/merovingian